Sunday, October 9, 2011

October 2011 General Conference

While doing last minute prep for my talk in t minus eight hours an some odd minutes, I stumbled upon a General Conference 'Meme.' What the junk was a 'meme' and why wasn't it called a questionnaire or survey?! Well, I can't really answer the latter question, but the answer to the former can be found here.

Reading all the answers from other bloggers, did send me in the right direction for my talk. Thus, I decided to write my thoughts down in the form of a blog in order to be able to narrow down the options and pick my topic. So here goes.





General Conference Highlights, October 2011

1.  Who were your three favorite speakers?


2.  Which talk spoke to you the most?


3.  What was your favorite Hymn and why did it move you?

Consider The Lilies - It brings back memories of singing it together with my old multi-stake youth choir.

4.  Which speaker was the best dressed?  

They've all got style. Who doesn't look good in a suit and tie?! But Packer's red and black paisley Saturday morning was pretty spiffy.

5.  Were there any topics that you felt like were repeated often?  Any conference “themes”?

That's actually the reason I'm filling this out. I was asked to speak on a theme from conference in church today, so true to habit, I procrastinated, then googled it. I'm not going to lie, I looked at the other blogger's links, and then read their favorite talks since I had only made time to watch Sunday Morning session. I have to agree though, themes I've found, and consequently will discuss, are staying true to the gospel despite the world around us and staying close to the spirit through the scriptures, prayer and personal revelation. I'll leave missionary work for Michael to talk about even though it was my first theme idea (probably because my brother is nearing the end of his mission in Switzerland and he has been on my mind a lot lately).

6.  Share a few of your favorite quotes from any of the talks (paraphrasing is fine).

"We cannot always explain the difficulties of our mortality. Sometimes life seems very unfair—especially when our greatest desire is to do exactly what the Lord has commanded. As the Lord’s servant, I assure you that this promise is certain: “Faithful members whose circumstances do not allow them to receive the blessings of eternal marriage and parenthood in this life will receive all promised blessings in the eternities, [as] they keep the covenants they have made with God." -Andersen

"Today would be a good day, while the clock of mortality ticks, to review what we are doing to prepare to meet God." - Ardern
 
 "Be assured that if you but hold on, believe in Him, and remain faithful in keeping the commandments, one day you will experience for yourselves the promises revealed to the Apostle Paul: 'Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.'" -Uchtdorf

7.  Name something(s) that made you smile or laugh during conference.

Monson's entrance and greeting of course!

"Let us be as quick to kneel as we are to text." & "I know our greatest happiness comes as we tune in to the Lord and to those things which bring a lasting reward, rather than mindlessly tuning in to countless hours of status updates, Internet farming, and catapulting angry birds at concrete walls. I urge each of us to take those things which rob us of precious time and determine to be their master, rather than allowing them through their addictive nature to be the master of us." - Ardern

Who can't resist laughing at an Angry Birds reference in conference?!

8.  Was there any evidence that your children paid attention?

I don't have kids. And my cat definitely slept through what he was in the room for.

9.  What doctrine did you learn as you listened to the choir(s) sing?

Music is important to the Lord, thus, it will be plentiful in Heaven.

10.  Did the music enhance your General Conference experience? How?

From what I was able to watch of it, I enjoyed the memories it recalled as well as time to reflect on the words spoken and just feel the spirit.

11.  What are some of your post-conference goals?

     1) Read my scriptures on a daily basis and have more intent and
         focus when doing so.

     2) Live more closely to the Spirit.

     3) Share my testimony more often.

     4) Shut out more of the world's influence on my personal image.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for joining in on the meme. I know, it's a weird word. I enjoyed your answers.

    ReplyDelete